Friday, September 3, 2010

Starting a New Medicine/Smiles are Priceless

Paisley has been taking medicine for the past week to help control her seizures until her real medicine was delivered.  The medicine she's on now just controls her brain activity enough to prevent the seizures while the new medicine will hopefully fix the problem causing the seizures.
When we started the bridge medicine last week she only had to take it twice a day but about half way through the week they had to up the dose to three times a day to keep the seizures under control.  Tomorrow she'll be starting a medicine called ACTH which we hope will completely eliminate the seizures. We'll go to a training session tomorrow morning to learn how to give her the ACTH which is an injection.  The training take place at the hospital where all of her tests were run so that there will be a medical staff available just in case she has a bad reaction to her first dose of the medicine.  We're going to continue to pray that after starting the ACTH not only will the seizures go away but Paisley will be her happy self again.

Since all of this has started our normally extremely smiley baby has gotten a lot more serious.  The seizures make her not feel good and the current medicine that she is on makes her quite groggy.  If I was dealing with that I probably wouldn't smile much either but it is very hard to see a 7 month old not want to smile.  Wednesday I tried and tried but I couldn't get her to smile at me even once.  I was quite upset and was worried she might have forgotten how to smile since I've read many things saying that babies regularly stop smiling as a result of infantile spasms.  Luckily yesterday her daddy called me while I was in class to let me know that he smiled at him and just this evening I got to see the first big smile that I have seen in a few weeks.  Paisley was sitting with her Sug watching a little tv and got this huge smile because she saw a dolphin on the tv.  My heart completely melted because that is my daughter, she may not feel like smiling all the time right now but I know she will be herself again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment